1/4/13

Find your hole

Way back when I was still writing my fashion magazine, my editor said something that stuck with me. “I looked through hundreds of blogs a day trying to find people who fit what we needed. You weren’t what we needed, but you stood out because your voice wasn’t the same thing. So we found a place for you.”

 

See, they weren’t even looking for a fashion columnist. They needed college grads looking for work, but for whatever reason I stuck out. And the more people I talk to, the more blogs I come across, the more it makes sense. You want people to come to your blog and stay? Don’t be the exact same hipster, anthro-loving, dslr toting, sock bun wearing blogger. So for me, it’s talking about pageants, constantly being able to laugh at myself, and trying to take in as much of the world as I can. And occasionally having some cool outfits that people like.

(That picture of Toby has nothing to do with anything, it just makes me laugh every time I see it)

Maybe it’s just me, but when I read blogs it’s because I want to read about other people’s lives. I want that escape. I want to be creepy. I don’t know these people, but I want to know how their world works, what they've experienced. And since my mama raised me to share, it goes both ways.

I think that’s why Awkward and Awesome Thursday is my favorite post to write. I meet some insane people and get in some crazy situations. Like last weekend, when E and I went to bingo and the woman behind us clipped her nails during the game. Or the kids today who jumped in and out of my store screaming “Break the security sensor!!!” (while their mom sat on a bench outside texting…) Or the woman at McDonald’s who lectures me when I don’t bring Toby through the drive thru (cus I should totally have him in the car on my way to work, I guess)

But I don’t know what y’all care about. So what are you most interested in hearing about? School? E? Pageants? Work? And what makes your blog different from everyone else's?

No comments: